On Sunday morning we left Ballygall to head for Knock the shrine where in 1879 Our Blessed Mother, with St Joseph and St John the Evangelist, appeared to a number of witnesses. We were heading for an over night stay at St. Mary’s which up to recently was under the care of the Daughters of Charity and is now in the care of Knock Shrine.
We got there in plenty of time for the 3pm Mass in the refurbished Basilica and joined with the Franciscan pilgrimage. It was lovely to be with them for the Mass especially as we have the link through the Franciscan Penitential Service every Advent and Lent. As the weather was good (an unusual item for knock) we took part in the rosary procession after mass and finished with the blessing at the Apparition Chapel.
On Monday morning we celebrated Mass in the Apparition Chapel and afterwards headed to Ballintubber Abbey a site renowned for its faith journey for over 800 years. Unfortunately the weather caught up with us and most of the ladies were forced to stay in the abbey or go the the church shop. Perish the thought of women in a shop and it raining. There they watched a video on the history of the abbey. Some of us however braved the inclement weather and got out to see the “Rosary Way” and “the Way of the Cross” which was designed by Fr Frank Fahey P.P. of Ballintubber.
We will have to go again! Thanks to all who took part in the trip. It was a joy to be with ye.